« on: February 19, 2013, 03:20:02 PM »
Here is a list of hadiths that do not work well with science. Some have an explanation of why others don't need explanation.
1. Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Allah created Adam, making him 60 cubits tall. When He created him, He said to him, "Go and greet that group of angels, and listen to their reply, for it will be your greeting (salutation) and the greeting (salutations of your offspring." So, Adam said (to the angels), As-Salamu Alaikum (i.e. Peace be upon you). The angels said, "As-salamu Alaika wa Rahmatu-l-lahi" (i.e. Peace and Allah's Mercy be upon you). Thus the angels added to Adam's salutation the expression, 'Wa Rahmatu-l-lahi,' Any person who will enter Paradise will resemble Adam (in appearance and figure). People have been decreasing in stature since Adam's creation.
Sahih Bukhari 4:55:543, See also: Sahih Muslim 40:6809 and Sahih Muslim 32:6325
SCIENCE The oldest human remains found in Ethiopia (Lucy and Ardi) were actually shorter in height than us, thus Archaeological science has disproved this belief.
2. Narrated Abu Dhar: The Prophet asked me at sunset, "Do you know where the sun goes (at the time of sunset)?" I replied, "Allah and His Apostle know better." He said, "It goes (i.e. travels) till it prostrates Itself underneath the Throne and takes the permission to rise again, and it is permitted and then (a time will come when) it will be about to prostrate itself but its prostration will not be accepted, and it will ask permission to go on its course but it will not be permitted, but it will be ordered to return whence it has come and so it will rise in the west.
Sahih Bukhari 4:54:421
SCIENCE Astronomers plotted the motion of the Milky Way and found that the Sun and its family of planets were orbiting the galaxy at about 135 miles per second.
3.It is narrated on the authority of Abu Dharr that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) one day said: Do you know where the sun goes? They replied: Allah and His Apostle know best. He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Verily it the Sun glides till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it falls prostrate and remains there until it is asked: Rise up and go to the place whence you came, and it goes back and continues emerging out from its rising place and then glides till it reaches its place of rest under the Throne and falls prostrate and remains in that state until it is asked: Rise up and return to the place whence you came, and it returns and emerges out from it rising place and the it glides (in such a normal way) that the people do not discern anything ( unusual in it) till it reaches its resting place under the Throne. Then it would be said to it: Rise up and emerge out from the place of your setting, and it will rise from the place of its setting. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said. Do you know when it would happen? It would happen at the time when faith will not benefit one who has not previously believed or has derived no good from the faith.
Sahih Muslim 1:297
SCIENCE The sun is an inanimate object. Some try to explain it differently. But at face value.. it fails.
4. Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "The sun and the moon will be folded up deprived of their light on the Day of Resurrection."
Sahih Bukhari 4:54:422
SCIENCE The moon bounces or relays sunlight from the Day side of the Earth to it’s night side. This of course alters as it orbits the Earth and gets near the side of Earth where the Sun shines from. This is what makes the moon appear visible during the Day. The changing of the Moon’s phases is also a result of how we view the light reflected off of the moon. Half of the moon is always lit up by the light of the Sun it is simply that the moon is orbiting us that the amount of that lit portion changes as the month goes by.
5. Narrated Abu Bakra: Allah's Apostle said: "The sun and the moon are two signs amongst the signs of Allah and they do not eclipse because of the death of someone but Allah frightens His devotees with them."
Sahih Bukhari 2:18:158
SCIENCE As seen from the Earth, a solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, and the Moon fully or partially blocks ("occults") the Sun. This can happen only at new moon, when the Sun and the Moon are in conjunction as seen from Earth in an alignment referred to as syzygy. In a total eclipse, the disk of the Sun is fully obscured by the Moon. In partial and annular eclipses only part of the Sun is obscured.
6. Narrated Al-Abbas ibn AbdulMuttalib: I was sitting in al-Batha with a company among whom the Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) was sitting, when a cloud passed above them.
The Apostle of Allah (peace be upon him) looked at it and said: What do you call this? They said: Sahab.
He said: And muzn? They said: And muzn. He said: And anan? They said: And anan. AbuDawud said: I am not quite confident about the word anan. He asked: Do you know the distance between Heaven and Earth? They replied: We do not know. He then said: The distance between them is seventy-one, seventy-two, or seventy-three years. The heaven which is above it is at a similar distance (going on till he counted seven heavens). Above the seventh heaven there is a sea, the distance between whose surface and bottom is like that between one heaven and the next. Above that there are eight mountain goats the distance between whose hoofs and haunches is like the distance between one heaven and the next. Then Allah, the Blessed and the Exalted, is above that.
Abu Dawud 40:4705
SCIENCE No Mountain Goats have been found in the atmosphere or space.
7. The earth is carried on a giant bull; when it shakes its head, then an earthquake occurs. (Ibn Katheer 2/29; 50/1)
SCIENCE No bull found either
8. Narrated Anas bin Malik: “The Prophet said, "Allah puts an angel in charge of the uterus and the angel says, 'O Lord, (it is) semen! O Lord, (it is now) a clot! O Lord, (it is now) a piece of flesh.' And then, if Allah wishes to complete its creation, the angel asks, 'O Lord, (will it be) a male or a female?”
Sahih Bukhari 8:77:594, See also: Sahih Bukhari 4:55:550, and Sahih Muslim 33:6397
SCIENCE The gender is determined at conception by the sperm. All women's eggs carry the x chromosome as all women have two x's. The sperm can be either male or female (x or y). The sex of the baby can be seen as early as 12-13 weeks with ultrasound.
9. Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, “When any human being is born. Satan touches him at both sides of the body with his two fingers, except Jesus, the son of Mary, whom Satan tried to touch but failed, for he touched the placenta-cover instead.”
Sahih Bukhari 4:54:506
SCIENCE Before birth, oxygenated blood from the placenta flows into the child’s inferior vena cava and mixes with blood returning from the lower part of the body. The atria are, in effect, one chamber due to the open foramen ovale; however, laminar blood flow tends to supply the left atrium and ventricle (and hence the upper body) with more placental (oxygenated) blood than the right atrium receives. The ventricles also act as one and pump blood around the body. Blood from the right ventricle bypasses the lungs, flowing through the ductus arteriosus and joining blood from the left ventricle in the descending aorta. A large portion of this blood flow goes to the placenta through the umbilical arteries.
Although the pulmonary vessels are fully developed in the fetus, only a tiny amount of blood (about 5% of cardiac output) flows through them due to intense vasoconstriction of the pulmonary arterioles. The nutritive blood supply to the lungs is from the bronchial arteries that arise from the aorta. The collapsed alveoli (air sacs) are filled with amniotic fluid.
Oxygenated blood is red, de-oxygenated blood is blue, and at the moment of birth, a normal newborn is circulating a mixture of blue and red blood. The color (lips and tongue) of a healthy newborn at birth is a pinkish purple; the child has been this color for nine months and normal placental function (cord pulsating) will maintain this color until the lungs function.
When the lungs are functioning, the umbilical vessels close, the ductus venosis closes, the hepatic portal vein is open, the foramen ovale closes, the heart is two sided, the cardiac output from the right ventricle (blue blood) goes through the lungs and is oxygenated, the left ventricular output (red blood) goes through the body, the ductus arteriosus closes, the pulmonary arterioles are open, the alveoli are full of air and the child turns from purple to pink. All of this complicated process is coordinated and controlled by the child’s reflexes; it usually happens within three or four minutes of birth. What makes it happen?
All babies are born soaking wet, and on meeting the atmosphere, the skin cools; this triggers two reflexes:
The cold crying reflex - cold, wet diapers produce the same result, crying.
The cold pressor reflex - cold skin raises blood pressure.
In order to cry, the child must first take a deep breath, and an inspiratory "gasp" is often the first sign, triggered by cold, that a child is going to cry or breathe. Contraction of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles increase thoracic volume and create negative intra-thoracic pressure. Once air is in the lungs, another reflex is triggered that relaxes the pulmonary arterioles; this causes an enormous increase in pulmonary blood flow.
The cold pressor reflex increases the blood pressure in the aorta, and this may be sufficient to reverse blood flow through the ductus arteriosus causing more blood to flow through the lungs.
The cord is also cooling, and the cord is a well-designed self-refrigerator. It has no skin and blubber to keep it warm like the child. It contains only the cord vessels surrounded by a watery gel, Wharton’s jelly, covered by a single layer of cells, the amnion. Water evaporation cools it rapidly, causing the vessels, especially the muscular arteries, to constrict; this further helps to raise systemic blood pressure and to reverse ductus arteriosus flow.
At the same time, a large transfusion of placental blood is being forced into the child by gravity and/or by uterine contraction, greatly increasing cardiac output and pulmonary blood flow. The net result of these changes is a large amount of blood flowing into the left atrium from the lungs, which raises left atrial pressure and closes the foramen ovale - the heart changes from one-sided to two-sided. The lungs are now oxygenating blood that is pumped round the body by the left ventricle - the child turns pink.
If the child has not taken the first breath, or is depressed and cannot breathe, the massive increase in pulmonary blood flow generated by the placental transfusion may, of itself, initiate ventilation. Jaykka [1,2] showed that the fetal lungs are erectile tissues; by injecting serum through the pulmonary artery of excised animal fetal lungs, the engorged capillaries around the alveoli erected them and caused air to enter through the trachea. With establishment of pulmonary blood flow, the high colloid osmotic pressure of blood causes absorption of amniotic fluid from the alveoli and "dries out" the lungs, filling the "erected" alveoli with air.
10. “Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him."
Sahih Bukhari 4:54:509
SCIENCE The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low. Studies have shown that during normal, at-rest breathing, we don’t use anywhere near our lung capacity; for the most part, we just use the air sacs at the bottom of the lungs. If the air sacs, called alveoli, don’t get fresh air, they partially collapse and the lungs stiffen a bit. As a result, it’s believed, our brain prompts the body to either sigh or take a yawn to get more air into the lungs.
But certain aspects of yawning remain even more mysterious. Fetuses, for instances, have been observed yawning in the womb, yet it’s known that they don’t take oxygen in through their lungs. And yawning seems to be a symptom of multiple sclerosis and other medical conditions, for reasons unclear.
Another puzzling phenomenon is that some male animals, men included, yawn in association with penile erection (although it’s presumptuous to assume they’re bored with their sex lives)
11. Ibn 'Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying that a non-Muslim eats in seven intestines whereas a Muslim eats in one intestine.
Sahih Muslim 23:5113, See also: Al-Muwatta 49 49.69, and Al-Muwatta 49 49.610
SCIENCE The human body has 2 intestines.. The large and the small.
12. Narrated Abu Sa'id: that Allah's Apostle said, "Pray Zuhr prayer when it becomes (a bit) cooler as the severity of heat is from the raging of the Hell-fire."
Sahih Bukhari 1:10:513
SCIENCE Earth's internal heat comes from a combination of residual heat from planetary accretion (about 20%) and heat produced through radioactive decay (80%). The major heat-producing isotopes in the Earth are potassium-40, uranium-238, uranium-235, and thorium-232. At the center of the planet, the temperature may be up to 7,000 K and the pressure could reach 360 GPa. Because much of the heat is provided by radioactive decay, scientists believe that early in Earth history, before isotopes with short half-lives had been depleted, Earth's heat production would have been much higher. This extra heat production, twice present-day at approximately 3 byr, would have increased temperature gradients within the Earth, increasing the rates of mantle convection and plate tectonics, and allowing the production of igneous rocks such as komatiites that are not formed today.
13. Narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet said, "What is wrong with those people who look towards the sky during the prayer?" His talk grew stern while delivering this speech and he said, "They should stop (looking towards the sky during the prayer); otherwise their eye-sight would be taken away."
Sahih Bukhari 1:12:717
SCIENCE There are a number of diseases that cause blindness. Glaucoma, a condition that damages the eye’s optic nerve due to rising fluid pressure in the eye, is one of the leading causes of blindness among Filipinos along with cataracts.
Another condition that causes visual impairment is macular degeneration, often called age-related macular degeneration. This slowly progressive disease usually affects older adults in which the eye’s macula degenerates, causing central vision to become compromised, making it hard to focus. This results in a person’s inability to read, drive, watch television, and perform other daily tasks. If untreated, this can subsequently lead to blindness.
Chronic diseases also have an effect towards vision loss. Diabetic retinopathy is a progressive ocular complication of diabetes where blood vessels within the eye undergo changes that result in bleeding and /or swelling of the retina, eventually leading to blindness if uncontrolled.
14.Narrated Nazi': Abdullah bin 'Umar said, "The Prophet said, 'Fever is from the heat of Hell, so put it out (cool it) with water.' " Nafi' added: 'Abdullah used to say, "O Allah! Relieve us from the punishment," (when he suffered from fever).
Sahih Bukhari 7:71:619, See also: Sahih Bukhari 7:71:620, Sahih Bukhari 7:71:621, and Sahih Bukhari 7:71:622
SCIENCE Fever activates the body’s immune system to produce more white blood cells, antibodies, and other agents that fight infection.
15. Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri: The people asked the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him): Can we perform ablution out of the well of Buda'ah, which is a well into which menstrual clothes, dead dogs and stinking things were thrown? He replied: Water is pure and is not defiled by anything.
Sahih Muslim 1:66, See Also Sahih Muslim 1:67
SCIENCE Water can be contaminated by toxins and bacteria which can be deadly.
16. Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said: He who played chess is like one who dyed his hand with the flesh and blood of swine.
Sahih Muslim 28:5612
SCIENCE Dr. Hans Klaus, Dean of the School of Philosophy at Humboldt University in Berlin, commented upon the chess studies completed in Germany: ``Chess helps any human being to elaborate exact methods of thinking. It would be particularly useful to start playing chess from the early school days ... Everybody prefers to learn something while playing rather than to learn it formally…it produces in our children an improvement in their school achievements. Those children who received systematic instructions in chess improved their school efficiency in different subjects, in contrast with those who did not receive that kind of instruction.''
17. Hold onto the use of the black seeds for in it is healing for all diseases except death
Sahih Bukhari 7:71:592, See also: Sahih Bukhari 7:71:591
SCIENCE Black Seed has a stabilising effect on the Human Immune System, but it has not been proving to cure major diseases that millions suffer from. If this was true, no one would be sick. I personally tried it for my diabetes with no cure, yes it helped.... but I was not cured. You can check Mayo clinic on this one. There is some scientific evidence to suggest that black seed might help boost the immune system, fight cancer, prevent pregnancy, and lessen allergic reactions by acting as an antihistamine, but there isn't enough information in humans yet.
18. Narrated Sad: Allah's Apostle said, "He who eats seven 'Ajwa dates every morning, will not be affected by poison or magic on the day he eats them."
Sahih Bukhari 7:65:356, See also: Sahih Bukhari 7:65:663
SCIENCE Though dates possess certain medicinal properties, curing poison and dispelling magic are not the benefits.
19. Narrated 'Amr bin Maimun: During the pre-lslamic period of ignorance I saw a she-monkey surrounded by a number of monkeys. They were all stoning it, because it had committed illegal sexual intercourse. I too, stoned it along with them.
Sahih Bukhari 5:58:188
SCIENCE Monkey do not have the brain capacity to or society structures developed for such claims as illegal sexual intercourse. The study of animal sexuality (especially that of primates) is a rapidly developing field. It used to be believed that only humans and a handful of other species performed sexual acts other than for procreation, and that animals' sexuality was instinctive and a simple response to the "right" stimulation (sight, scent). Current understanding is that many species that were formerly believed monogamous have now been proven to be promiscuous or opportunistic in nature; a wide range of species appear both to masturbate and to use objects as tools to help them do so; in many species animals try to give and get sexual stimulation with others where procreation is not the aim; and homosexual behaviour has now been observed among 1,500 species and in 500 of those it is well documented. Animal sexual behavior involves struggle between many males. Female animals select males only if they are strong and able to protect themselves or not. For example, if a male animal fights against another male animal of the same species then the animal that wins the fight will have the chance to mate with the higher number of females and also he will pass on his genes to his offspring, who pass on their genes to the next offspring in line.
20. Abu Dharr reported: The Messenger of 'Allah (may peace be upon him) said: When any one of you stands for prayer and there is a thing before him equal to the back of the saddle that covers him and in case there is not before him (a thing) equal to the back of the saddle, his prayer would be cut off by (passing of an) ass, woman, and black Dog. I said: O Abu Dharr, what feature is there in a black dog which distinguish it from the red dog and the yellow dog? He said: O, son of my brother, I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) as you are asking me, and he said: The black dog is a devil.
Sahih Muslim 4:1032
SCIENCE Melanin gives a foraging advantage and is heritable through a dominant gene.
21. Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "When you hear the crowing of cocks, ask for Allah's Blessings for (their crowing indicates that) they have seen an angel. And when you hear the braying of donkeys, seek Refuge with Allah from Satan for (their braying indicates) that they have seen a Satan."
Sahih Bukhari 4:54:522, See also: Sahih Muslim 35:6581
SCIENCE Cocks will crow if there is a disturbance within the coop or if they are alerted for danger. Donkeys bray as a form of communication.
22. Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah: The Prophet used to stand by a tree or a date-palm on Friday. Then an Ansari woman or man said. "O Allah's Apostle! Shall we make a pulpit for you?" He replied, "If you wish." So they made a pulpit for him and when it was Friday, he proceeded towards the pulpit (for delivering the sermon). The date-palm cried like a child! The Prophet descended (the pulpit) and embraced it while it continued moaning like a child being quieted. The Prophet said, "It was crying for (missing) what it used to hear of religious knowledge given near to it." (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 56, Number 784; see also Volume 4, Book 56, Number 783 and Volume 2, Book 13, Number 41)
SCIENCE Trees are incapable of crying like a human, they may excrete fluid or sap. Crying (also referred to as sobbing, weeping, bawling, or wailing) is shedding tears as a response to an emotional state in humans. One need only shed a single tear to be crying. The act of crying has been defined as "a complex secretomotor phenomenon characterized by the shedding of tears from the lacrimal apparatus, without any irritation of the ocular structures". A related medical term is lacrimation, which also refers to non-emotional shedding of tears.
I will post more as I gather them. Please feel free to comment, correct or add.